Determined Irvine Lawyer Fights on Behalf of Mistreated Workers
Knowledgeable California advocate seeks justice for clients in employment law matters
Employees should not have to endure abuse or the violation of their rights. At Shivayi Law Firm, P.C. in Irvine, our attorney understands the obstacles mistreated workers face and represents clients across Orange County, and throughout Southern California in a variety of employment law matters. With more than 20 years of experience on both sides, our attorney knows how to approach complex legal issues and is highly knowledgeable on all relevant state and federal laws. Attorney Shivayi spent years defending employers in disputes, and now uses that experience to help employees combat discrimination and other issues. Whether you were sexually harassed by your supervisor, fired for taking medical leave or were denied meal breaks, our firm will seek appropriate relief, which can include back pay and other compensation.
What is sexual harassment?
Sexual harassment in the workplace is extremely harmful and insidious. Knowing what types of behavior qualify as sexual harassment can help you take appropriate action. Some examples include:
- Sexual advances and requests for sexual favors from a supervisor (called “quid pro quo” harassment)
- Lewd jokes or comments made by coworkers or superiors that create a hostile work environment
- Verbal or physical conduct that is sexual in nature
Our attorney will thoroughly investigate the facts of your case and make every legal effort to hold the liable parties accountable.
What are signs of potential workplace discrimination?
Everyone should be judged on their merits, not personal characteristics that don’t affect one’s ability to perform their job duties. Identifying possible discrimination can be tough, and the following are some signs to look for:
- Lack of promotion among employees within a certain legally protected class. Specific types of discrimination prohibited by law include mistreatment based on race, age, sex, religion and sexual orientation
- Work is taken away without reasonable explanation
- Belittling or biased comments
- Arbitrary discipline
Discrimination can severely harm your career, and our attorney will counsel you regarding the damages that you might be able to recover.
What is the purpose of whistleblower protection laws?
Employees who report their employer for illegal activity are protected by state and federal law from retaliation for speaking out. The retaliation could be a firing, demotion, reduction in pay, threats, poor evaluation or some other adverse action. Our attorney is dedicated to protecting employees who report workplace misconduct and will aggressively seek relief if you’ve experienced unlawful retaliation.
When do you have grounds to file a wage and hour claim?
Several specific laws require employers to pay workers what they have earned. Specific requirements include:
- Paying at least minimum wage
- Paying required overtime for more than eight hours worked in a day or 40 hours worked in a week
- Paying for work-related travel or other expenses
- Providing required breaks
- Paying wages by certain dates, especially at the conclusion of employment
When violations occur, affected employees may have grounds for wage and hour claims, and our attorney vigorously pursues the maximum amount of available compensation in every case.
What other types of employment law issues need legal attention?
Employment law issues can arise in many contexts, and our firm also counsels Californians on matters involving the following:
- Contract negotiations
- Class action claims filed in response to widespread workplace misconduct
- Wrongful termination based on discrimination, retaliation or taking legally mandated leave
- Disability accommodations
- Improper classification of employees to avoid wage laws
Getting knowledgeable legal advice in these situations is the best way to protect your interests, and our attorney will give you an honest assessment of your case.
Contact a California employment law firm today to schedule a free initial consultation
At Shivayi Law Firm P.C., our attorney puts clients first and represents employees across Southern California in many types of employment law matters. Please call 949-237-7978 or contact our firm online to schedule a free initial consultation at our Irvine office.